If your Chesapeake rental property is slightly older, you may be afraid about attracting quality tenants. This is mainly evident if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be challenging for an older home to compete against newer ones, primarily if it needs essential updates. Thank goodness, there are many things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. Indeed, with a little time and a bit of money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only help you attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of top ways to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To help your rental’s interiors become more attractive, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with splashes of bright color as accents. Never use too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is normally all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, consider removing one or more of them. Modern home design is more open-concept, with spacious living areas that flow from space to space. For example, simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a quick upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a big difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property currently has a popcorn ceiling inside, this is the right opportunity to remove it. Popcorn ceilings were fashionable at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Decide on a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another excellent idea to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as resilient wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are less expensive in contrast to carpet and will possibly last much longer than carpet, anyway. In addition, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the idea of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Dirty or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental appear unsightly. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can maximize the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are another great option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, is a major element of your property’s curb appeal. Suggest replacing an old or outdated door with something unique and different, particularly in a bright, complementary color. A stylish door can add the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. After all, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and many more. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and help increase the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will cherish the convenience and savings, and you will enjoy the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll surely get as a reward.
Would you like to know more about simple and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Hampton Roads a call! Our Chesapeake property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.